Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Friends Visiting and Visiting Friends

So I'm a huge slacker....it's been almost a month since I've written anything. Life has just been rolling on by!

January has been fun. Our friend from College Station, Rose, and her friend Kenneth (who I like to call Kennifrid) came to visit a few weekends ago. Saturday saw us eating and grilling and eating some more. Sunday we headed north to Palo Duro Canyon to hike and enjoy the nice day.

Here's Kenneth's view in the car...through Tug's mouth....to Rose. :)


Here's the gang (minus Murphy who was wandering around) taking a pic on the trail:

The rest of their trip, we went to the drive-in, ate out, ate in, played Wii, went to the movies and had Icees, popcorn, Sour Patch kids and peanut butter M&Ms. Here's Rose and me as she and Kennifrid were headed out of town on Wednesday:

So then this last weekend, I drove to College Station on Thursday for the weekend to hang out with friends and be a hostess for my great friend Allison's baby shower. I met several sweet girlfriends I'd worked with at the medical school for lunch on Friday. It was so good to see them, but it makes me miss them so much! Then I ran errands in the afternoon and met friends Sarah, Rose and Ally for dinner at a new Italian restaurant in town. It was sooo good and we just stayed talking until we were the last people in the place. We finally left when we figured they were going to kick us out!
On Saturday, I worked with my dear friend Megan to get stuff ready for the shower, and then it was shower time before we knew it! Here's the table by the front door at Sarah's house where we had the shower. We had the girls write funny things on the diapers so Allison would see them when she changes Baby Owen's diapers in the middle of the night. (Gotta love the one that said "Jesus Wept!")

This is my dear Allison...looking all fantastic with only one month to go until Baby Owen comes!

Sarah, Megan, Allison and me:

So here's the cake, and there's a hilarious story behind it. We got it from this lady that does cakes out of her home. We met her Saturday morning, picked up the cake, paid for it and went back to Megan's. When we got there and opened the box.....let's just say it needed some work. The sweet lady tried to make it kind of look like the shower invitation, which was a surfer baby sitting on a little island.
Except the "sand" looked like flesh to Megan, the two-legged starfish looked like a handlebar mustache with a smiley face and there was this creepy baby/Charlie Brown looking head sticking out of the island. Oh, and she'd included a palm tree that was huge and the leaves had fallen off. Megan and me to the rescue! Megan crushed up graham crackers to make the sand look more appealing, the starfish/mustache was plucked from his perch, along with the creepy baby head, and the palm tree was 86'ed.
We made our own tree with leaves from the top of the pineapple we used in the fruit salad. And what was great...everybody said the cake was so cute...and we just laughed! However, it turned out just fine and the best part? The cake was delicious!
Palm tree and creepy baby head:

Then that night Allison, Megan and I hung out more and went to dinner at my favorite Mediterranean place in College Station. And just to fill in the cracks, we went for ice cream! Then we hung out at Megan's and chatted with Meg's husband Jeremy.

Then before I left town on Sunday, I went to breakfast with Ally and Rose. Love those gals!

So I didn't think my drive was ever going to end. I kept having to stop to get gas, use the bathroom and get lunch late in the afternoon...in addition to getting pulled over. The guy pulled me over for going by too fast when he had someone else pulled over. Ridic! Just got a warning though...whew!

Enjoying the wind turbine view on my way home:


It was a great weekend and was so good to see all my friends, but makes me miss them even more! Isaiah and the boys survived, didn't starve to death or burn down the house. So all in all, it was a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have had a fun January, but I have barely seen you!! :( Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty funny about the cake. You should have done before and after pics, but you're right, the baby head is a little creepy. Can't believe you drove all that way by yourself! You are such a big girl! (I definately am not a big enough girl to do that!) :)

    ReplyDelete