Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Of Church, Sweet Potatoes and German

So my Mom mentioned that the name of the blog might be confusing for some of you English speakers out there. It means "Good Morning, Good Night" in German. The German spelling of morning is actually "morgen" but I took some license. Would you expect any less from me? My Auntie Terri says it reminded her of my Granddad, who used to say stuff in German -- I have faint memories of that as well. (I wonder if he knew how to say "I love you the most!" in German...that was what I remember him saying most.)

In other news, I'm very lucky to have a husband who will pretty much eat anything I put on the table. It really is great to be able to experiment in the kitchen and know I'm subjecting my creations on a non-picky eater. There are, however, a few exceptions. Rice and green peas are tolerable but only in small doses, black-eyed peas and stewed okra are out and sweet potatoes, which used to be on the black list, were making a come-back (or so I thought). Isaiah has come to like my mom's sweet potatoes and we had some recently at my friend Allison's house -- she roasted them in the oven with salt, sugar, black pepper and fresh rosemary (so yummy) and he liked those as well.

I thought we were making progress in that arena so I baked two sweet potatoes with our dinner last night and served them with butter and brown sugar. Watching him eat was pure comedy. I told him he looked like Murphy when I give him peanut butter, doing this funny smacking thing with his mouth. After I quit laughing, I asked why he was doing it. He said it was because he could chew it up without tasting it as much. Needless to say, after a valiant effort to please me by eating at least a few bites, his potato went in the trash. I just wish I had a video of him doing the peanut butter mouth thing. Hilarious.

On to our religiosity. We've visited two churches the last two weekends (are you happy, Mom & Dad?!?!), looking for a place where we fit. Two Sundays ago we went to Calvary Baptist where my cousin Erin's husband is the Minister of Education, and really enjoyed it. Erin led the young married SS class and did a great job, and we liked their pastor as well. Then last Sunday we visited cousin Andi's church, Indiana Avenue Baptist. They have two classes for young married folks, and we went to the earlier class led by their Minister of Education. It was very good too and we really hit it off with some of the people in the class. We're planning to visit a few more before we make a decision (prayerfully, of course), but Isaiah's already worried. He told me last Sunday he didn't know how we were ever going to decide on just one....but he didn't want to be one of those people that pops across town to a different church every couple of weeks. I assured him it won't be a long-term thing.

And finally, our friend Rachel is coming to visit tomorrow through the weekend. She was in Isaiah's major at A&M and just graduated in May (congrats, Rach!). They met on the very first day of transfer student orientation and spent countless hours together -- Isaiah at her house studying and Rachel at our house getting home-cooked meals and playing Guitar Hero. So see, it was a fair trade off.

Ugh, gotta find that cord for our camera. Maybe I'll just suck it up and go buy one at Best Buy....

No comments:

Post a Comment