I'm being subjected to my first ever gas furnace in the house we're renting. I know gas is supposed to be better for furnaces, stoves, etc., but I have to admit....it freaks me out. An open flame in a home just is not something I'm used to or comfortable with. I have these mind flashes of the whole house going up in flames while I'm at work and Murphy being trapped inside. (Tears!)
Anyway, a technician came over on Monday, I think it was, to look at our furnace before the beginning of the cold season. He checked it out and lit the pilot for me to get it going. He asked if I knew how to light it, I said no and he briefly showed me what to do. Pretty much in one ear and out the other. I thought, this can't happen very often, can it? And when it does, Isaiah will be home to do it, right?
Sigh...I woke up this morning to a chilly house. Checked the furnace...yep, no flame. So of course not remembering what to do, I went online and found step-by-step directions for how to light my 800-year old furnace.
Once I got the pilot lit I couldn't get it to fire up but I kept trying. After several attempts, saying a prayer that I wouldn't blow myself up, a few tears and some choice words aimed at said furnace, I DID IT! Now I have no idea what to think about the bumping noises our Civil War-era furnace makes (and it drives the dogs nuts), but it was doing that after the furnace guy left, so it can't be anything I've done.
In other news, I have three articles in today's paper. I had a lot of fun writing this one about Kelly Clarkson (who's coming to town next week) and the flubs and floozies that were her American Idol Season 1 competition. (It was neat to get some really great compliments from folks at the newspaper about how funny the article was.)
http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/102909/fea_510455692.shtml
Then I wrote another short piece about a fundraiser for a local musician killed last year: http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/102909/fea_510438054.shtml
And then finally, with the Salvation Army's deadline of Nov. 7 for local families to apply for holiday assistance, I wrote about their programs and how one local teacher is getting her kids involved: http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/103009/loc_510599212.shtml
Now just keep your fingers crossed I don't have to light that dang furnace again anytime soon. I don't think my nerves could handle it!
No comments:
Post a Comment